What is it?
Over the next six years we will seek to change policies across the city enabling culture to flourish, support a range of other policy areas to overcome their challenges and take advantage of new opportunities, and act as a constant check and challenge for how we work together as a city.
We are not short of artists, creators, makers, tinkerers, community builders, activists and volunteers, however our policies and processes do not always offer the greatest levels of support and opportunity for them to create their culture. Regardless of the form it takes our culture is still considered. by some, to be a 'nice-to-have' rather than something to celebrate every day of the week, protect as part of our way of life and build in as standard to new developments.
Our mission is to change perceptions of culture, promoting its value across the city and ensuring that it can be embedded and enabled at all levels.
We will work with partners, colleagues and stakeholders from across the city to understand the challenges across a range of policy areas, consider where there might be a cultural response, get to know the road blocks that prevent culture from happening, understand why they are there, why they were created and try to tease out new and revised policies, scalable approaches for the things we really must keep, and new relationships across council departments, and between local government, local communities, artists, businesses, developers and investors.
We will also use our experiences in Leeds to contribute to national and international cultural policies and actions.
Alongside this we will make regular updates and corrections to the Culture Strategy ensuring that it remains relevant and useful as the city changes.
Which Leeds Culture Strategy Aims & Objectives will it deliver?
- Change perceptions and attitudes towards culture and the arts, moving the focus from what they cost to what they create.
- Become open to the cultures of the world, internationally connected, and play an active role in shaping global policy and leadership.
- Embrace and celebrate the differences in our communities, inviting artists and thinkers from all corners of the world to sit alongside us, and find new connections with Leeds.
- For Leeds to be nationally and internationally recognised as a liveable city, and a thriving, internationally connected cultural hub open to collaboration.
Which Leeds Culture Strategy Area of Focus does it serve?:
- A Connected City with a 'Yes' Menatality
Leanne Buchan email@example.com